1. Don’t be afraid to experiment with products and styles. You’ll learn so much about your hair!
2. Get involved with the rapidly growing online natural hair community (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Tumblr, Fotki, etc.).
3. Protect your hair at night by sleeping on a satin or silk pillowcase, and/or wearing a satin or silk bonnet/scarf.
4. Look for products that have a water base to moisturize your hair & remember to drink water!
5. To help with detangling, use a wide tooth comb on hair that is wet and saturated with conditioner.
6. Sample products. Try to buy sample sizes that you can test first and visit swap” parties to exchange products with friends.
7. Do Natural YOUR Way. No two heads of hair are alike, so stick with what works for you.
8. Take pictures! Documenting with photos can help you keep track of your hair journey and will remind of you of what worked and what didn’t.
9. Moderate your use of heat as excessive heat use can lead to heat damage over time, which can loosen and permanently damage your natural curl pattern.
10. Minimize breakage by ensuring that your hair is free of split ends. This can be treated with trims as needed.